Saturday, February 7, 2009

I-80

Stephen King loves to drive I-80 across Nebraska. I can understand why, it is kinda creepy. Everyone complains that the drive through Nebraska is boring. It’s only boring west of Kearney. Yes, I know it is brown 9 months out of the year, it is flat, and it sucks to drive at night. I don’t personally find it beautiful but I have to admit there is some beauty in the emptiness.

It’s not that empty there are plenty of things to look at, but you won’t see it if you are zoning out on the road. You have to look into the great expanse to see what is there.
I have spent 10 years driving between Kearney and Lincoln. I know the road, the signs, the fields and the trees. Yes, there are trees that I have watched grow over the past 10 years. It is mind blowing to notice how much a tree can grow.

I don’t like Nebraska and I’m so glad that I have been accepted into an art school in San Francisco. I will be working on my MFA in Advertising. I was born and raised here in Nebraska but it has never been my home. I am a fish out of water, literally, I need the ocean. But today I realized that while I don’t like Nebraska, I have spent so many years getting to know the Interstate that I will miss it, just a little bit, when I’m gone. I’ll miss the familiarity.

2 comments:

  1. It's only boring west of Kearney??? HAHA, I grew up driving west of Kearney to NP, Ogallala and Colorado. I think that way is prettier than going east. In summer and fall near Ogallala there are HUGE sunflower fields around the interstate that the farmers let their horses run through. It's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Sarah, it can be beautiful in western Nebraska. I drive the interstate to Ogallala, Sidney or Kimball every time I go back home to Gering, and after doing it 430784506784 times, I pretty much have everything along the route memorized. You miss out on some great things in western Nebraska if you don't keep your eyes open.

    ReplyDelete