Sunday, February 1, 2009

Tattoos

Whenever I go to the massage school in Omaha the girls spend the whole time talking to me because of my tattoos and I don't receive a proper massage because they are talking to me the whole time. I thought a massage was suppose to be a relaxing thing. They always have to ask "What does it mean?" There are symbols running down my back and they all mean something different. To explain the whole I have to explain the individual and that is an hour conversation. My other problem with the question is that the tattoos are on my back, I can not see they so I don't remember what I even have tattooed on my.

So for anyone thinking, "What's the point if you don't know what you have?" Every symbol means something, one is for protection from evil, there is the infinity sign, the turtle who holds the world on his shell, and others. Every tattoo has a meaning that I personal believe in, they therefore belong to me alone because only I know what it means to me.

Not only is they symbolic meaning important to me but I view tattoos as art. I don't mind when someone says it is a nice looking tattoo. My back is my design but the good work of the tattoo artist helps. The phoenix on my leg is completely a work of art. I wanted the phoenix but it turned out nothing like I had envisioned it. It is far more impressive and it is a beautiful work of art done by an artist named Chad.

The problem that I find with tattoos comes when some one tells me they like my tattoo and then follow it up with "look at mine." Playing "show and tell" with your tattoos does not earn my respect. It irritates me and causes me to loose respect for the person doing it. This is because my tattoos belong to me, I had them done for me. They are beautiful works of art that I get to take with me everywhere I go.

I did not have them done so that others would think they are "cool." I honestly do not care what people think about my tattoos, good, bad, or otherwise. In turn I do not care about other people's tattoos. I don't give two hoots about someone else's tattoo. Tattoos are art and I do like to look at art but I do not like to talk about art. Art is food for the eyes not the mouth.

If someone asks about your tattoos then I find no shame in answering a question. But it shows a complete lack of discretion, sophistication and class to start talking about your own tattoos with someone when they didn't ask. Especially if the tattoo is someplace where you have to remove some article of clothing so that other people can even see it. If you didn't put it someplace where people could easily see it then maybe you should not go showing it off to people who are not close friends.

1 comment:

  1. Great points....sorry for that time I flashed you my tattoo in the bathroom.

    ReplyDelete