Wednesday, April 15, 2009

This is how we do it

One thing I love and will miss about Nebraska is that we are people who get to the point. I ask a question, I get a direct answer that should be under 3 sentences long, any longer then that and a person is putting way to much detail into the answer and the point is lost.

Remember it was the blue number 8 that was important. Details about the cage were not, hence there were no details about the cage. Two weeks later and I still want to know why there was a blue number 8 on a white rabbit. I don't even know if I was told the rabbit was white or if the detail about the color of the rabbit was left out. It doesn't matter because it was all about a blue number 8 on the back of a rabbit. All other details can be omitted because they don't matter.

We know a lot about wind here in Nebraska and have had it with the wind. Windbags beware! We have had enough.

We are a culture that, even us big city boys and girls, work hard and get to the point. The mentality of people here in the breadbasket is of a hard working life. We are a culture based on getting up before dawn to grab some breakfast so we can be out working the fields by dawn because you never know when the weather will change and a whole day of work will be lost.

We need to get to the point because there isn't time to waste. There might be a freak snow storm in the middle of June in the next hour and a Nebraskan can get much done in an hour. Ok, so we are not all like that but that is our culture. West coast culture is laid back, and Seattle is the most laid back city in all of America, Miami is the heart of the party, New York never sleeps, LA is full of phonies, Texas is the home of the cowboy, and in the midwest we get to the point.

When I start dealing with people who are not from the midwest I become very confused and disorientated because they just keep talking and talking and talking and I can't remember what they are talking about or even the question I asked because I asked a question then they started talking and it had nothing to do with the question I asked, Oh I remember the question, but yeah they haven't said anything that has to do with the information I was looking for. Don't get me wrong, I have issues articulating myself sometimes, but if that was the case then most people ask me to clarify. They don't just start talking.

Not sure how I'm going to survive when I move out west. It will be rough.

No comments:

Post a Comment