Sunday, December 20, 2009

Vegas Redeye

I’m 28. I’ve never had the desire to go to Vegas. Most are questioning my sanity right now. I have yet to loose my mind though. I was given the opportunity to fly into Vegas on a night flight. Heck Yeah! Give me the window seat. Now.

I have my moments when I slower and denser then frozen molasses. This was not one of them. I knew this would be an amazing flight. Upgraded to first class and that was the least spectacular part of my flight. Flying out of San Francisco at night was beautiful. It really is this small little island attached to Cali. Of all the things wrong with California there is nothing more spectacular than San Francisco on a regular day, San Francisco coved in fog, San Francisco at night coved in fog, or just a good old fashion California sunset. Or so I thought.

Short flight, window seat, good book, 1am, first class, no sleep, windows open. I knew I would be able to see it a ways off but 20 minutes till I land, never. It was the biggest dot I have seen from the sky. It just kept getting bigger, bigger, bigger. Nice lay out of a city. Oh all that flat space to sprawl; must be great for city planers. Also, beautiful from the sky.

Our plane flew in perpendicular to the strip. I venture a guess that it is overwhelming from street level. But from the sky it is spectacular, miniature, detailed. It takes a lot to awe me anymore, but awed I was. There needs to be a word invented to describe how spectacular, grandiose, dazzling, extravagant, fabulous, and mind blowing that this sight was. I could read the names of the hotels, I saw Paris, Stratosphere, Luxor, I don’t even know most of the names but I’ve seen them on TV. It blew me away. Never thought the airport would be so close to the strip… Nice, easy, convenient.

And for those in the know… PLAM TREES!

No comments:

Post a Comment